FOUNDER'S FAMILY BACKGROUND:
US Equivalents of Foreign Corporate Positions (Political and government
positions as listed are similar to US equivalents):
Director = CEO
= Vice President
Father, Richard Alexander Boustred
- Managing Director & Deputy Chairman Scaw Metals Ltd.
- Director Anglo American Industrial Corporation
- Chairman of N F Die Manufacturers
- Chairman Al Automobile Castings
- Chairman Kolbenco ( Ex Karl Smidt of Germany )
- Director Haggie Ltd
- Director Flather Bright Steels (Pty),Ltd.
SCAW METALS Ltd.
1995 revenue R1,1 billion, earnings R123 million.
Leading international supplier of locomotive, passenger and freight
car components and cast steel railway wheels.
|SCAW's Four divisions:
The Company's Production Facilities include two coal-based direct
reduction plants, a melt shop comprising a 70 tone UHP EBT arc furnace;
ladle furnace; four-strand continuous casting machine combination,
six steel and iron foundries, three rolling mills, grinding media
production plants, and three machine shops with associated fabrication
| Rolling Mills Division:
Three rolling mills producing mild and high-tensile reinforcing steels,
nut, bolt and rivet steels, spring steels, free-cutting steels and
low alloy and general engineering quality steels.
|Grinding Media Division:
Forged, cast steel and high chromium high carbon cast iron media.
| Machining and Fabrication Division:
This Division comprises three machine shops, which machine components
up to seven meters in diameter and 50 tones in weight.
|Scaw's principal subsidiary companies are Flather Bright
Steels (Proprietary) Limited, a supplier of bright drawn bar, and
Rand Scrap Iron and Metal Company (Proprietary) Limited, which
and market steel scrap; while Scaw owns an equal partnership with
a Belgian associate, Magotteaux International S.A., and a foundry
operation in Chile named Proacer Ltda.
||151 082 employees 1998 Market capitalization R54,5 billion (US$11,0
billion) 1997 Revenue R27.9 billion ($6B) earnings of R5 billion (US$1
billion). One of the world's foremost mining and industrial enterprises.
Exports products from South Africa to more than 75 countries.
Some well know subsidiaries:
- De Beers, the Worlds leading diamond company.
- Amcoal, one of the largest private sector producers of
coal in the world.
- Amplats, the global leader in the production of primary
platinum group metals.
- Anglogold, a leading gold mining company.
- FirstRand, one of South Africa's major financial services
groups, with interests in banking, insurance and asset management.
- Minorco, a leading international natural resources company.
- AMIC, a major diversified industrial group, with a growing
AMIC Consists of Twelve operating subsidiaries and eleven
principal associates and long-term investments, covering the following
- Iron, steel, stainless steel, aluminium and engineering
- Commercial explosives and chemicals
- Mining and construction equipment, tools and contracting services
- Pulp, paper, board, forestry, and timber products
- Sugar and food
- Electronics and electrical engineering
- Freight and travel
- Motor vehicle assembly, components, and distribution
- Furniture, appliance and clothing retailing; and
- Building and construction
|AMIC has joint ventures with partners such as ABB, Alcatel,
Bechtel, CPC, Daewoo, Ford, ICI, Komatsu, Mitsubishi, Norsk and Svenska
Cellulosa. While AMIC maintains manufacturing facilities in Africa,
North America, Central and South America, in Europe, and in India,
Australia and South East Asia.
HAGGIE Ltd Haggie is one of the leading steel wire rope
manufacturers in the world, contributing to South Africa's leading
position in deep level gold mining.
FLATHER BRIGHT STEELS ( PTY ),LTD. Supplier of bright drawn
AL AUTOMOBILE CASTINGS Manufactures wheels pistons & pistons
rings primarily for BMW Germany.
N F DIE MANUFACTURERS Manufactures dies.
KOLBENCO ( Ex Karl Smidt of Germany ) Manufactures piston
Grandfather, William F. Boustred
- Chairman United Building Society / Barclays Bank RSA
In it's time, one of the largest financial institutions in South Africa
- Director Barlows Ltd. (Reverse takeover from Barlows, see
- President Royal Agricultural Society
Great Grandfather, William R. Boustred
- Mayor of Johannesburg
- Owner Mining Insurance Company
- Founder, Owner W. R. Boustred & Co 1890, Johannesburg
|W.R. Boustred Ltd.
|The company supplied Johannesburg's booming construction industry
with products from local sources, Europe & the U.S.A. The company
employed fully trained technical staff who were always available for
advice on matters, ranging from the changing of a tap washer to the
calculation of master-keying systems, to the design of catering facilities
to feed a thousand people. A fully equipped Service Department offered
maintenance and service facilities on any equipment purchased from
the firm. A reverse takeover in 1941 of W.R. Boustreds Ltd. by
formed South Africa's second largest industrial company after Anglo
Great Grand Father (Mothers Side)
Sir Thomas Cullinan
- Owner Premier Mine & the Cullinan Diamond, the largest diamond
ever found and now the primary stones in England's Crown & Scepter
- Created a Knight Bachelor (England)
- Awarded the D.S.O · M.P. for Pretoria District North
- Member of Transvaal Legislative Assembly
- Chairman, Commerce & Industries Commission
- President Transvaal Manufacturers Association
- Vice President Witwatersrand Agricultural Society
- Hon. Colonel, Transvaal Horse Artillery
- Vice-President, Transvaal Responsible Government Association.
- Founder Member S.A. Association for the Advancement of Science
Uncle, William Graham Boustred
- Deputy Chairman Anglo American Corporation
- Chairman Del Monte Royal Holdings Ltd.
- Director Anglo American Industrial Corporation,
- Director Anglo American Coal Corporation
- Director Mondi Paper Co Ltd.